Adam Dugdale (b. 6th January 1771) was a Liverpool Cotton Broker, who had warehouses in
Piccadilly and Moseley Street, Manchester.
His main residence was 'Dovecot House' in Knotty Ash, Liverpool,
then a pleasant mansion standing in parkland at the corner of Pilch
Lane and Prescot Road.
A brass plate with the following inscription was laid in the plinth
stone of St John the Evangelist.
"On the 26th day of June Anno Domini, 1834, this Foundation Stone
was laid by Adam Dugdale Esq. of Dovecot House, on land given by
him for the erection of this church for the service of the Church
of England; it is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, and was
built by donations and subscriptions."
Adam Dugdale died on 8th April 1838 and is buried in a vault under