Welcome to St John's "Ways to Donate"


My name is Gill Southern - I am the Hon. Treasurer for St John's.

I can be contacted on email here: sjkatreasurer@gmail.com

Alternatively come and chat with me at St John's on a Sunday

Or Contact via Facebook

You can make donations in many ways and I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Help is always available from our Sides People who welcome you at the back of church.

Ways to donate

  • Plain envelope - placed on the plate at services
  • Direct onto the offertory plate (collected during Sunday morning services)
  • Gift Aid - Envelope, Direct Debit, Standing Order
  • Parish Giving Scheme

Interested in Gift Aid ?

Gift Aid

Thank you for asking about Gift Aid. Making your giving tax efficient through Gift Aid helps our church to be financially stable and gives us the resources we need for our ministry and mission here in St John’s Knotty Ash

Gift Aid is a generous government scheme which allows churches and charities to reclaim the tax that you have paid on your giving. The government wants to give this money because they know the positive and good work that churches and charities do in our society. So how does it work?

Firstly, let’s say you give £10 to your local church. The church is registered for Gift Aid and has a Gift Aid secretary who does all the work.

If you are a taxpayer, all you need to do is to sign a Gift Aid declaration just once. Our Gift Aid secretary claims back that £2.50 tax and now your £10 has become £12.50 at no extra cost or effort to you! It all adds up and each year our church receives thousands of pounds in Gift Aid reclaim from the taxman, courtesy of the government.

All you have to do is make sure that you have paid or will pay at least as much tax as all the charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) reclaim on your giving each tax year.

your questions

What is a Gift Aid Declaration?

The declaration is the church’s authority to reclaim tax from HMRC on your donations. By giving the declaration, you are confirming that you understand this.

How do I pay under Gift Aid?

Whichever is most convenient for you
— weekly, monthly, quarterly or annually —

by envelope, by cheque, by Standing Order, by Direct Debit, or receipted cash, as long as the payment is recorded.

Won’t everyone know how much I give?

No.  A confidential recording system ensures only the Gift Aid organiser knows how much you give.

What if my circumstances change, and I can’t maintain the level of my giving?

As long as you have paid or will pay at least as much tax that all the charities and CASCs reclaim on your giving in any one tax year, you can just alter your giving.

What if I stop paying enough tax?

You can cancel your Declaration at any time.  The cancellation will take effect from the date you let the church know.

Any further queries please contact myself, Gill Southern, Hon Treasurer, 

 email: sjkatreasurer@gmail.com Alternatively come and speak to me at St John's or Contact via Facebook

Like to Know more about the                          Parish Giving Scheme ?

The Parish Giving Scheme (PGS)

Donations can be made on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis. They are collected by Direct Debit on the first day of the month.  The gift is then passed on to the St Johns within ten days of collection. Gift Aid will be sent separately once PGS has received it from HMRC

Another unique feature of the scheme is the option for you to commit in principle to increase your gift annually in line with inflation.  This is entirely at your discretion on an opt-in basis but more than 60% of the cash received is index-linked.

You receive an initial letter confirming your details and welcoming you to the scheme.  All  who have requested to inflate their giving annually will then receive a letter one month preceding the anniversary of their first gift informing them of their soon to be inflated gift (with the option to vary it).

If you wish to donate to St John's through the scheme

Any further queries please contact myself - Gill Southern, Hon Treasurer, 

 email: sjkatreasurer@gmail.com 

Alternatively come and speak to me at St John's

Contact via Facebook

I can supply you with a Gift Form for completion. 

Complete the form including your bank details and send it to the Parish Giving Scheme at the above address - the Direct debit details should NOT be sent to the bank as they are unable to process them. Or hand it to myself - Gill Southern to be posted.

This information is treated as confidential. If you decide to remain anonymous only the amount of the gift will be shared with The Treasurer