Ten interesting facts about st johns
- Along with others, Marcus Bland, said to have served as a Major in the Crimean War, lies in a vault beneath the church. His coffin measures 8 foot six inches.
- The eighteen carved panels in the choir stalls were the gift of Miss Thompson of Thingwall Hall. They are the work of the ladies of the congregation and members of the carving classes which Miss Thompson held.
- The building costs of the church were £3,150
- The five small faces of stone at the springing of the arches between the Chancel and Lady Chapel and the Chancel and Organ Chamber were chiselled by craftsmen as likenesses of the vicar's wife and his four children.
- In December 1949 all the choirboys were sacked! They could only return once they had passed a proficiency test. From that time, ladies were allowed to join the choir.
- Miss Thompson of Thingwall Hall was instrumental in providing the church with many gifts - the Chancel, Lady Chapel, classrooms for both schools, the Village Hall and Bowling green. A stone plaque in her memory is situated on the ground as you enter Knotty Ash Community Centre, East Prescot Road.
- The bell hung in the tower of St Peter's Church until 1830. After having a new peal installed, the fourth bell was given to St John's where it still hangs today. It bears the inscription 'God save the Church and Queen.. 1707 ( the Queen being Queen Anne). It measures 38 inches in height and weighs seven hundredweight.
- Miss Molyneux of Staplands House gifted the oak carving of the Royal Arms which can be seen above the West (belfry) door, above the "singers' pew". It is because of this that St John's Choir is allowed to wear scarlet robes.
- On the North wall is a window designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones. The stained glass was made by Messrs. Morris.
- Underneath the church there is a series of bricked arches which extend all the way along the length of the Nave. Several notable people, including Mr & Mrs Dugdale two of the church's founders, do actually rest in one of these vaults.
(Information from Knotty Ash ( Radley, Gordon (1972)) published in collaboration with the 1971 /2 Parochial Church Council of St John the Evangelist Church, Knotty Ash)